For a 2D piece, the students are given:
- The challenge piece of media
- A blank sheet
- Guidelines for use of acceptable materials
1. The Challenge Piece
2. A Background
Challenge Piece: Googly Eyes
Background: Whole Sheet of Construction Paper
Guidelines: Gluestick, Scissors, Construction Paper Scraps Only
Craftsmanship Skills: Practice for Correct Technique
- Put the glue on the small piece
- Use enough, but not too much glue… just enough to make it shiny, not “clumpy”
- Cut smoothly, no jagged edges
Early Finisher Extension
If a student finished early, I would have them write a story about their creation. I had some comic relief when reading them! And their teachers loved that I provided a built-in prompt by having them create their story based on their artwork!
Also, if time allowed, I had the students tell me what is happening in their artwork, as they shared with the class.